Vegan Chocolate Orange Cake
This sumptuous chocolate cake is incredibly easy and quick to make. It’s particularly delicious served hot with ice cream.
Makes: 16 squares
Time to prepare: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 40 minutes
- 300g demerara sugar
- 100g vegan dark chocolate
- 400g self-raising flour
- 200ml rapeseed oil
- 430ml water
- 2 tbsp grated orange rind
- 3 tbsp squeezed orange juice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Lightly grease a large oven proof dish, approximately 22cmx30cm.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the greased dish, place in the centre of the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
Thank you to Jane Tate for this lovely recipe, which was taken from her book Janie’s Vegan Cook Book.
From Newton Flotman, Jane changed to a vegan diet 5 years ago, and decided to write the book to show how easy it is for anyone to make delicious and healthy vegan food.
She gives 10% of the profits from the sales of her book to local animal charities.
To buy her book, or to find out more, go to janiesvegancookbook.co.uk.