Q&A Health – Easing acid reflux
Q: I keep getting acid reflux. Is there anything you can suggest to ease it?
A: Some of the most helpful ways of dealing with acid reflux are purely practical.
- Always sit down to eat but maintain good posture, keeping your shoulders back and making sure you don’t hunch or slump. This allows your stomach (which is under your ribcage) room to deal with your food without having it pushed back up towards the esophagus.
- Chew your food really well and don’t drink within half an hour of eating, to avoid expanding the stomach contents.
- Eat your evening meal early so that you are not going to bed on a full stomach, and raise the head of the bed slightly to allow gravity to help your digestive system.
- Whilst you are getting into the swing of these good habits try a super-soothing product such as Silicol Gel (Bioforce) – drink just one tablespoon in a glass of water half an hour before meals to cover the lining of the stomach and bind excess acid.
- Consider using a stress-relieving herbal remedy such as calming Avena Sativa tincture, made from organic oats, suitable for both children and adults, and get in plenty of B Vitamins which aid overworked nervous systems – stress is another factor for acid reflux.
For more helpful information just ring:
Natural Food Store
4 Exchange Street
Or visit www.shop-naturally.com or www.holistic-care.com.